Some days the words flow from my fingers like a water fall. Other days it feels as if the well has completely dried up. Sometimes I’m trying to work on a new chapter for a fan fiction story I’m writing, other days editing my novel or even just wanting to write a blog post. Yet, for the life of me, the words just fail me and I can’t seem to find a way to write what is in my head.
I know many other writers who run into this problem, which is colloquially known as Writers’ Block. When it happens to me, I do one of the following things.
- Work on another piece of writing for awhile. I often have several fan fiction stories in progress at the same time.
- Spend some time focusing on something else entirely. Reading, taking a walk, doing chores around the house.
- Replaying parts of the video game or rewatching an episode of the TV series I’m writing about.
- Sleep on it and hope that the words will flow better the next day.
- Head into an online forum of other writers and ask them to help brainstorm ideas to help move the story forward.
Having writer’s block can be very frustrating, especially if you want or need to meet a deadline. What do you do when your writing just gets stuck?